Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Directed Research starts; third day of field work!

It has officially started, directed research has been ongoing for the last three days.  Everything has all of sudden changed here, exams went well for all three of my classes (though I am still awaiting one) and everyone has shifted into their respective groups.  The most interesting thing about all this is all the different things that each group is studying.  There is one group that is using GIS data to map tree-kangaroos behavior, feeding habits and road kill and that same group is nocturnally observing yellow-bellied gilders and trying to find out why the gliders select some trees for feeding trees and others not.  They are always establishing what trees are den trees!  Another group is climbing through wait-a-whiles and stinging trees to survey the primary rainforest plot within CISRO's long term research plot, were they will be taking measurements on seedlings, established trees, leaf litter and other things.  They are also obtaining measurements within a secondary forest growth plot in order to do a chronosequence, which is used to represent and study the time-dependent development of a forest.  My group is focusing on the seed rain and bird species composition within 'Kickstart' pasture plots.  These 'Kickstart' plots are essentially naturally re-generating rainforest that was cleared for livestock and at some point left abandoned. Simply put instead of spending thousands of dollars to plant trees and try to restore the area, one would spray grasses and weeds, put in bird perches around the plot and monitor the area; monitoring being the most important part and the essence of what I am doing.  The last few days consisted of setting up water troughs (to catch seeds that are pooped or puked) and camera traps ( are the birds puking or pooping the seeds???) to see what types of seeds were dispersed in the area and also to see what type of birds are visiting the bird perches.  I've also conducted surveys with Amanda (our centre director and our principle investigator) on birds within the pasture plots, grass plots and remaining and connected rainforest areas.  These will help determine the bird composition of the overall area and is by far my favorite.  I love tromping through the rainforest, through the wait-a-whiles and stinging trees to try and find birds.  The grass and pasture plots are good too but not nearly as species rich (go figure??) plus its not as entertaining as trying to wiggle your way through the thick rainforest.

Besides quantifying seed rain, my group and I are also looking at seed and seedling fate within the regenerating rainforest plot and today I helped set up more camera traps and seeds/seedlings (its a little complicated to explain how I did this...so just trust me on this).  The idea is to see if if seeds and seedlings are being predated on and how this might affect seed/seedling establishment.  My group and I setup cameras to see what types of animals come by.  Exciting I know!

All the descriptions on what I have been doing are far less detailed than they really are so please take them with a grain of salt..

Days are long and hot but when we get home before 2pm, I feel so accomplished...the next few weeks will only become greater..!

No comments:

Post a Comment