Thursday, October 31, 2013

Two months since I was in Chicago. One month still ahead.

Sadly enough classes are almost over and exams are this weekend.  I cannot believe its been two months already, you really forget about time here...it just doesn't exist.  All I can think about at this moment is that while Chicago keeps moving and progressing along time, life here in the rainforest is different and very much one of disconnectedness; to family, to friends and to what I call 'home' .  I don't get on a train in the morning nor do I buy coffee like I used to when I lived in Chicago, its strange when you live in another place especially another country for a long time... but still...I don't mind it.

Cravings?  I do miss the morning cup of dark coffee and I do miss my girlfriend.  She and I speak a lot though, which is good and I know shes having a rough time right now without me there, especially since we live together.  However, I know she knows the reason why I came here.  Why I had to come here, the importance of studying in another country and in the rainforest.

Honestly though...I never thought I would say this living here.....I miss Chicago.

Most current events?
This past weekend, my group volunteered at the Yungaburra Folk Festival and the people I met were just amazing and most welcoming.  I volunteered Saturday at the children's festival and worked the pump waterfall/river system that we all built in light of our topic; water and why its important (obvious enough?) Although the most of the kids really were not interested in us lecturing them we laughed and played with the kids, splashing water at each other...it was quiet a sight.  I listened to some amazing music too.

Sunday morning I joined in on a meditation class at the festival and although I wasn't really expecting too, I did.  It was great.  Afterward there was a Zen Shiatsu class that was offer and well...I stayed for that too and met some really amazing..strangers that became friends.  I befriended an older couple; an Australian and an Irishman that met many years ago and traveled around Australia in a caravan teaching yoga, meditation and spreading happiness.  They were very nice and after the class I met up with later to have a cup of tea and to talk about life, philosophy and the rainforest.  I really wish I spent more time with them.  I do hope to see them again in the future...

So then, were do I go from here?  Whats next in this adventure?

Research...

Research, the whole reason I came here in the first place.
This coming week, I start the directed research project.  This is very exciting time because this last month I will spend a whole month dedicated to research.  Its a huge endeavor and I know my best and worst will come out but I have confidence that I will do well.

Happily I was placed in the 'bird poop troop' otherwise known as the seed dispersal group.  I am very excited to be working with birds, because ever since I arrived here I have developed a profound fascination with bird fauna.  Additionally, I am really excited to be working with seed dispersal and having a chance to understand its role in natural re-vegetation of cleared rainforest.  My group and I will be working with our Centre director in the "kickstart program" that was recently started.  I hope that our work will help progress and develop an understanding the role that birds play within the environment.  I really do not know much about what the rest of the project entails but I will Monday.

Till then...
Farewell and goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment